History

You can join us today

Latest News

March 31st 2017
Fitness (Gym & Studio) Section AGM 2017   ... More here.
March 31st 2017
Hockey Section AGM 2017       ... More here.
March 31st 2017
Squash & Racketball Section AGM 2017   ... More here.
March 30th 2017
Click the calendar for details of our upcoming Social Events...     ... More here.
March 28th 2017
ATTENTION ALL TENNIS FANS!!!       IPSWICH SPORTS CLUB    WIMBLEDON TICKET BALLOT   ... More here.
March 13th 2017
Check out the new Fitness Offers available from Personal Trainer James Flatman ... More here.
March 13th 2017
Get Fit Fitness Offers available from Personal Trainer Leanne Webb this Spring ... More here.
March 13th 2017
New Bootcamp Sessions for Spring 2017        ... More here.
General

Although the origins of Ipswich Sports Club go back more than 120 years, the Club began to take on its present shape when the Tennis Club moved to the current site on Henley Road in 1947. The Hockey Club moved onto the site in 1952 and, spurred on by the enlarged membership, a new clubhouse was built. The first approach from the Squash Club came in 1957, although it took until 1972 for them to move to Henley Road from their site at Ipswich Airport. It was not until 1980 that the three sports finally became part of an integrated Ipswich Sports Club. The 1980s and ‘90s saw the provision of a glass-backed Squash court and floodlit and indoor Tennis.


Tennis

Ipswich Tennis Club began life around 1870. After moving around for many years, the big step forward was the move to Henley Road in 1947. At the time when Tennis was being very successful nationally with the likes of Fred Perry performing on the international scene Ipswich Tennis Club played its part with the President’s wife, Jean Bostock being ranked number 1 in England.


Hockey


In the 1890s, Hockey was largely a social pastime played by families with ground to spare. The Ipswich Town Hockey Club came into existence in 1899, playing alongside Ipswich Town Football Club at Portman Road. Eventually Portman Road became too expensive and having coped with constant relocations to Bourne End, Whitton, etc, the Club eventually moved to Henley Road in 1952.